2017 Pharmacy SIG New Investigator Research Award Request for Letter of Intent (LOI)
The ASBMT is excited to announce that we are accepting applications for the ASBMT Pharmacy SIG New Investigator Research Award. Interested applicants are required to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI). The LOI should follow the format below and will serve to permit assessment of eligibility for the award.
Letters of Intent must be received by e-mail to the administrator of the grant, no later than Friday, June 2, 2017 (5:00 pm CST). Please submit electronically as a single PDF file to Angie Dahl (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Director of Development.
ASBMT Pharmacy SIG Research Committee
Angie Dahl, Director of Development
The Letter of Intent must be no more than a total of 2 pages in length for items 1-8 below and include the following information in this order:
- The overall objective
- The relevance to the ASBMT Pharmacy SIG purpose
- The hypothesis or hypotheses to be tested
- Summary of preliminary data or available literature, if any
- Specific aims
- A summary of the methods or procedures
- Statistical justification for experimental design and plan for result evaluation
In addition, the application must include the following:
9. Current research support- list each funded grant or contract for the conduct of these projects and any potential overlap with the current proposal. If there are no other grants, state “NONE”.
10. A NIH formatted biosketch should accompany the Letter of Intent for the PI. The form for the biosketch can be obtained at: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html .
- Use an Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype or Georgia typeface, a black font color, and a font size of 11 points or larger. A symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies.
- Type density, including characters and spaces, must be no more than 15 characters per inch.
- Type may be no more than six lines per inch.
- Use black ink that can be clearly copied.
- Print must be clear and legible.
Paper Size and Page Margins
- Use standard paper size (8 ½" x 11")
- Use at least one-half inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) for all pages, including continuation pages. No information should appear in the margins, including the PD/PI's name and page numbers.
- Because a number of reviewers will be reviewing applications as electronic documents and not paper versions, applicants are strongly encouraged to use only a standard, single-column format for the text. Avoid using a two-column format since it can cause difficulties when reviewing the document electronically.
- The application must be single-sided and single-spaced.
STRICT ADHERENCE TO THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE IS NECESSARY OR THE PROPOSAL WILL NOT BE REVIEWED
The award will be $25,000 for the first year, renewable for an additional $25,000 for a second year, contingent upon a report of satisfactory progress, which must be submitted to the ASBMT Pharmacy SIG Research working committee no later than June 1, 2019.
To be eligible for the New Investigator Research Award, the applicant must be a licensed pharmacist (PharmD) who has completed ≥2 years of postdoctoral training and is not beyond 7 years from finishing training at the time of grant submission. Applicants in midst of their PGY1 or PGY2 residency at time of grant submission are not eligible for the grant award. Grant applications from candidates with existing career development awards (such as K23, K08, or any other type of career development award) will not be considered, nor will applications from candidates with independent, non-mentored peer-reviewed funding (such as R01, P01 or comparable). Lastly, members of the ASBMT Pharmacy New Investigator Award Review Panel are not eligible for the grant award.
Applicants may submit only one application per cycle. Applicants with other funding that overlaps an approved application’s scope of work must choose one or the other but may not keep both. This applies up to and through the duration of the funded project.
Applicants are required to be an ASBMT and ASBMT Pharmacy Special Interest Group member (an application for membership must have been submitted at the time of LOI submission; proof of membership is required by the time the full grant proposal is submitted). An applicant must have a sponsor who is an ASBMT member. The sponsor serves as a mentor for the applicant’s research and career development. The sponsor does not have to be a PharmD.
The Letters of Intent will be evaluated by the ASBMT SIG New Investigator Research Award Review Panel, and submission of full applications will be invited for eligible projects. The decision of the ASBMT SIG New Investigator Award Review Panel will be communicated to the candidates by June 21st, 2017 and those who are invited to submit a full proposal will need to do so by September 15th, 2017.
Applicants will be informed of the decisions regarding their applications by November 17th, 2017. Funding will be initiated when all approvals and signed letters of agreement are returned by grant awardees. Funds unspent 24 months after disbursement of the grant monies, must be returned to ASBMT unless an extension is formally requested and approved. Any requests for extension must be made at least 6 months before the expiration of the grant.
For any questions or clarifications, please contact ASBMT Director of Development, Angie Dahl at email@example.com.