Coding and Reimbursement
This page is all about Coding. If you want the bigger picture regarding ASBMT's Advocacy efforts, please visit the Advocacy Archive.
2017 Helpful Coding Links
- December 2017 - The new hematopoietic cell transplantation and cellular therapy specialty code is C9.
- WEBINAR Nov. 2: on CAR-T Coding and Reimbursement
- Oct. 30 2017 - new resource: CAR-T Coding Guidance Document
ICD-10-PCS code for CAR T will go into effect on October 1, 2017
- In September, the ASBMT sent three letters to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services:
ASBMT Commentary on CY2018 Proposed Changes to Physician Fee Schedule
CMS Payment Models for Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cell (CAR-T) Therapy
ASBMT Concerns with Proposed Changes to Outpatient Reimbursement Policies
- August 2017: Care Management Visits, Codes and Appropriate Billing
- In June 2017, our team worked together to coordinate a response to the latest proposed Medicare inpatient rule changes, yielding a 12-page response ("ASBMT CMS IPPS FY18 Proposed Rule Comment Letter") that covered financial issues critical for our Society, ranging from potentially decreased inpatient reimbursement to impacts on emerging T cell immunotherapies.
- In April 2017 - ASBMT sent a comment letter on the ICD-10 coding proposal regarding Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cell therapy (CAR-T)
- February 2017: New Codes for Billing Work Outside of Patient Visits
2016: ASBMT Responds to CMS Proposed Rule on MACRA
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released a proposed rule regarding key parts of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). MACRA will affect numerous laws, regulations and government programs affecting physician reimbursement through Medicare.
The MACRA Proposed Rule contained two components: Merit-Based Incentive Payment Systems (MIPS), which partially repeals the meaningful use program for EHRs along with alternative payment models.
The ASBMT leadership response to the proposed rule can be viewed here.
View the presentation to find information on...
the Quality Payment Program?
the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
and incentives for participation in Advanced Alternative Payment Models (Advanced APMs)
2015 Guide to CPT Coding
A major overhaul of the CPT Codes for hematopoietic stem cell collection, processing and transplantation took effect January 1, 2003.
AN ONLINE TUTORIAL provides transplanters and administrators with an overview of the changes, including codes that have been added, revised and deleted.
Also available online is a POWERPOINT PRESENTATION on the new codes that was presented at the BMT Center Administrators Conference at the Tandem BMT Meetings, February 1, 2003, in Keystone, Colo., by Dr. James Gajewski, chair of the ASBMT Committee on CPT Codes.