Awards and Grants
Lifetime Achievement Award
The Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to an eminent scientist or physician who has made continuing contributions to the BMT field through the advancement of knowledge via basic or clinical science.
Public Service Award
The Public Service Award, presented at each year’s Annual Meeting, recognizes an individual outside the ASBMT membership who has advanced the interests of the BMT field or has given special service to the patients and families that we serve. The honoree receives a plaque, along with expenses to attend the Annual Meeting.
BBMT Editorial Awards
Abstracts submitted to Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, ASBMT's monthly journal, are eligible for one of three editorial awards. These awards, which include a $5,000 prize, are conferred by BBMT Editor-in-Chief Robert Korngold, M.D., and are presented at a special awards ceremony at the BMT Tandem Meetings.
- The George Santos Award is given for the best clinical science article by a new investigator.
- The Ernest McCulloch and James Till Award is given for the best basic science article.
- The Karl Blume Award is given for a distinguished clinical science article by a new investigator.
E. Donnall Thomas Lecture
The E. Donnall Thomas Lecture, presented at each year’s Annual Meeting, recognizes an eminent physician or scientist, either a clinician or an investigator, who has contributed meritoriously to the advancement of knowledge in blood and marrow transplantation. The lecturer does not necessarily have to be a member of ASBMT. The honoree receives a plaque, along with expenses to attend the Annual Meeting.
New Investigator Awards
The New Investigator Awards are designed to encourage clinical or laboratory research by young investigators in the BMT field. The award — $30,000 per year, typically for two years — preferably is to be used to support the investigator’s salary for his or her research effort. Alternatively, the award may be used for direct support of research costs.
Transplant Nursing SIG Awards
ASBMT honors transplant nurses with two annual awards:
- The Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to an ASBMT Nursing SIG member who has made a significant impact in the field of BMT nursing and has been in practice for at least 10 years.
- The Clinical Excellence Award is presented to an ASBMT Nursing SIG member who has made a significant impact in the field of BMT nursing or achieved a professional milestone.
For more information about these awards, email D. Kathryn Tierney, RN, Ph.D., ASBMT Nursing SIG chair, at email@example.com.
Travel Grants for the BMT Tandem Meetings
ASBMT In-Training Members can apply for travel grants to attend the Tandem Meetings.
"A travel grant might be an attractive first step for recruiting a young clinician or investigator to consider our field," said Corey Cutler, M.D., MPH, former chair of the ASBMT Committee on Young Clinicians and Investigators. "You may have someone in mind right now who would be an ideal candidate for a career in BMT."