New Investigator Awards
**We are no longer accepting applications for 2018 New Investigator Awards**
Deadline for ASBMT 2018 NIA Applications: October 16, 2017
2018 New Investigator Awards
Past ASBMT New Investigator Awards have been made possible with the generous support of the following:
Support the New Investigator
- Takeda Oncology
- Robert A. Good Award (Otsuka America Pharmaceutical Inc.)
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- Gabrielle's Angel Foundation for Cancer Research
The ASBMT New Investigator Awards are designed to encourage clinical or laboratory research by young investigators in the BMT field. The award is $30,000 per year, typically for two years, and is preferably to be used to support the investigator’s salary for his or her research effort. Alternatively, the award may be used for direct support of research costs.
- To be eligible for consideration for a New Investigator Award, the applicant must be a physician (M.D., D.O., or international equivalent) or hold a Ph.D. or international equivalent.
- By the award start date of July 1, 2018, the applicant must have completed at least two years of postdoctoral training. For applicants who are full-time junior faculty (Instructor, Asst. Professor, or equivalent) at an academic institution, that appointment or promotion must have occurred on, or after, July 1, 2015 (i.e., no more than three years before the award start date of July 1, 2018).
- Grant applications from candidates with existing career development awards (such as K23, K08, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Fellow/Special Fellow or any others of this type) will not be considered, nor will applications from candidates with independent, nonmentored peer-reviewed funding (such as R01, P01 or comparable). Institutional startup funds for junior faculty are not considered peer-reviewed or extramural.
- An applicant may submit only one application per cycle. Applicants with other funding that overlaps an approved application’s scope of work must choose one or the other; they may not keep both. This applies up to and through the duration of the funded project.
- Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to be ASBMT members. An applicant must have a sponsor who is an ASBMT member. This sponsor serves as a mentor for the applicant’s research and career development.
Applicants are required to submit the New Investigator Award application, a curriculum vitae that adheres to the NIH Biographical Sketch format, a list of other support that also adheres to the NIH format, a letter of recommendation from the applicant's sponsor/mentor (two pages maximum) and a description of the proposed research (five pages maximum).
Judging and Evaluation Criteria
The review committee is headed by a member of ASBMT, appointed by the ASBMT president with Board approval. The chair then appoints review committee members based on the expertise required to review the topics covered by the applications.
New Investigator Award applications will be evaluated for:
- Scientific merit within the BMT field
- Significance and anticipated overall impact of the potential findings to the BMT field
- Institutional environment
- Training record of the sponsor/mentor
As these are “new” investigator awards, less emphasis is placed on preliminary data.
The number of awards varies from year to year, depending on available funding.
Due to the additional work that would be required of reviewers and the short timelines involved, applicants will not receive written critiques after review.
Award winner(s) will be notified in mid-December, 2017, in time to make arrangements to attend the BMT Tandem Meetings, where the award(s) will be publicly announced. The award(s) will be activated in July, 2018.
The award is $30,000 and is renewable for a second year, contingent on a report of satisfactory progress and continued funding by the award sponsor. That report must be submitted to the ASBMT executive office no later than June 1, 2019.
** Download the 2018 ASBMT New Investigator Award Application Instructions **
*** Download the 2018 ASBMT New Investigator Award Application ***
Please submit your application on or before Monday, October 16, 2017, to email@example.com